
Really random question, but do you remember your first book-bag? I ask because Area has a bunch of extremely fun book-bags for this back to school season from Crocodile Creek, Sugar Booger, Fleurville, etc., and it made me start to reminisce about my book-bag from kindergarten.
It was an army green, canvas satchel/messenger bag, with two silver buckles. It used to be my mother's when she attended secondary school and for some reason I persisted that I didn't want any other bag. I have one particular memory of that satchel, that I am quite fond of. I was four years old. I remember the morning my brother first started going to school with me. I was so excited and proud and I wanted to 'show-off' being a big sister and all, so I broke my bear bank and filled my satchel with as many pennies as I could. The bag was so heavy I left all my books at home except for my reading book and my writing copy book - my two favourite subjects.
That day at school, I kept sneaking off to the little shop across the street with him and traded in my millions of pennies for as many sweets and snacks as our hearts desired. Of course I finally got caught when the shop keeper - a fellow church member told on me when my mother came to pick me up. The lucky thing was I never got punished.
I don't know why I still have this memory but I really did love that satchel. Maybe one day the kids that trot into Area and pick out their first book-bag would have great memories of fun times with it like I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment